Wedding string quartet Halifax NS. If you, or someone you know is getting married, or is interested in a live performance for a wedding or special event in Halifax and area, please contact us for a custom quote. We would be happy to consult with you to help you choose the right size ensemble for your event, and some fantastic music to make your wedding ceremony or cocktail reception a truly memorable experience.
Listing our Wedding String Quartet Halifax
The solo violin
The smallest bowed string instrument in the violin family is the violin. It is also the quietest instrument, but that does not mean that it cannot produce a sound. Don’t forget that violin soloists regularly perform with a 50-100 piece orchestra, in a large hall seating 2000 or more people, and the solo violin can be heard over the entire orchestra, and at the very back of the concert hall. How? This comes down to the skill of the violinist, and positioning. This is why at wedding ceremonies for example we often are quite picky about the exact spot where our violinists and ensembles perform, no matter if the string ensemble is outdoors or indoors a single violinist is a great choice.
Duo d’Amore’s solo violinist is a great option for those who want live music but have a smaller budget. The solo violinist performs classical pieces, contemporary pieces, and a mix of both. Their music is perfect for wedding ceremonies, cocktail receptions, and intimate dinners.
The solo cello
Like the solo violin, a solo cellist is a great option for slightly smaller wedding ceremonies and receptions in Halifax. Larger than the violin, it is very resonant, and can play an equally wide range of music. Clients that hire the solo cello and solo violin for weddings and events often have a guest list of under 50, but not necessarily so.
The violin and cello duo
The violin and cello duo, or string duet, is made up of one violin player and one cello player. This is our most requested string ensemble for hire in Halifax. Having both the violin, which is able to play soaring melodies, and the cello which is able to anchor and often accompany, while having an even larger sound it is no wonder that this is our most popular string ensemble. I like to imagine that the violin is like the right hand of the piano and the cello is the left had of the piano, together they can play almost anything, and that is another reason that it is our most popular ensembles.
Duo d’Amore’s violin and cello duo is a popular choice for weddings. The duo consists of a violinist and a cellist who play together, creating a beautiful, harmonious sound. The duo’s repertoire includes classical pieces, contemporary pieces, and a mix of both. Their music is perfect for wedding ceremonies, cocktail receptions, and dinner parties.
The String trio
The string trio is made up of the violin and cello, with the addition of a third instrument. Often this is a violin or viola. We recommend this ensemble for 150-200 guests.
The String Quartet
Our string quartet is the largest wedding ensemble that we have for hire in Halifax. The string quartet has a long and rich history. This dates back to the classical period of music in the 18th century. Composers such as Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven wrote some of the most famous and enduring string quartet works. In the 19th century, the string quartet continued to be an important genre, with composers such as Schubert and Brahms producing some of their most notable works in this format. During this time, the string quartet also began to be used for more private, intimate occasions such as weddings.
Versatile string quartet and ensembles Halifax
We often recommend the string quartet for large gatherings, receptions, weddings and events with 200 or more guests. The string quartet is one of our more versatile ensembles, as we can perform everything from Bach, Beethoven and Brahms in the classical spectrum, to pop, jazz, folk, Top40 and beyond.
Choosing wedding ceremony and reception music
Duo d’Amore has one of Canada’s largest collections of wedding pop and classical music for our string ensembles. In general here is what we recommend for a wedding ceremony. Of course, every ceremony is different and we like to customize things to suit your plans and ideas. We also have lots more wedding music ideas and resources on our blog, here.
Prelude (as guests arrive) 3-5 songs
Processional: 1 or 2 songs (1 song for both the wedding party and bride or 1 song for wedding party, another song for bride)
Signing: 1 classical song, or 2 pop songs
From classical to pop, Top 40
Whatever the type or size of event Duo d’Amore, has an ensemble and the right music options to make your event memorable. We have hours of classical music, from the baroque period with composers such as Bach and Handel, the classical period with Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven to the Romantic period with Elgar and Brahms, just to name a few. We have over 5 hours of classical music, and our repertoire is always expanding. Here are some of our most requested songs for our string quartet and ensembles:
- Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring by Johann Sebastian Bach
- Air on the G String by Johann Sebastian Bach
- Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn
- Trumpet Voluntary by Jeremiah Clarke
- Ave Maria by Franz Schubert
- Spring from The Four Seasons by Antonio Vivaldi
- Bridal Chorus by Richard Wagner
- The Swan by Camille Saint-Saëns
- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Pop, Top40 and beyond, custom arrangements
Duo d’Amore is also fortunate to have an incredibly large collection of pop string arrangements, and like our classical music repertoire it is always expanding. If there is a song that you would like for your event, let us know.
- A Thousand Years by Christina Perri
- Perfect by Ed Sheeran
- All of Me by John Legend
- Can’t Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley
- Marry Me by Train
- Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
- You Are the Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne
- At Last by Etta James
- I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
- Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars
Halifax and area venues, perfect for our string duo, trio and quartet ensembles
If you’re planning a wedding in Halifax, Nova Scotia, you’ll be happy to know that there are plenty of beautiful venues to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a grand ballroom or a cozy barn, there’s something for everyone in and around Halifax. Here are several wedding venues in the area that are sure to impress your guests.
- Halifax Citadel National Historic Site – This stunning fortress is one of Halifax’s most iconic landmarks, and it’s a unique and unforgettable wedding venue. The citadel offers several event spaces, including a grand ballroom and outdoor courtyard, all with breathtaking views of the city.
- The Prince George Hotel – Located in the heart of downtown Halifax, the Prince George Hotel is a luxurious wedding venue with multiple ballrooms and event spaces. Their experienced wedding planners will ensure your special day is everything you dreamed of and more.
- Shining Waters Marine – This waterfront venue is located just outside of Halifax and offers stunning views of St. Margaret’s Bay. The property features a rustic barn and a charming chapel, making it the perfect choice for a rustic or vintage-inspired wedding.
- The Westin Nova Scotian – This historic hotel has been a Halifax landmark since 1930 and offers several event spaces for weddings of all sizes. The hotel’s ballroom features elegant chandeliers and can accommodate up to 500 guests.
- The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites – Another iconic Halifax hotel, the Lord Nelson offers multiple event spaces, including a grand ballroom and a stunning courtyard. Their experienced wedding team will work with you to create a personalized wedding package that suits your vision and budget.
- The Halifax Club – Located in the heart of downtown Halifax, the Halifax Club is a historic venue that’s perfect for intimate weddings. The club features several event spaces, including a grand ballroom and a cozy library.
- Hatfield Farm – If you’re looking for a rustic wedding venue with a fun and unique twist, Hatfield Farm is the perfect choice. This working farm offers several event spaces, including a rustic barn and a covered pavilion, as well as hayrides and other farm activities for your guests to enjoy.
- White Point Beach Resort – This stunning resort is located on Nova Scotia’s South Shore, just a short drive from Halifax. The property features a beautiful beach, multiple event spaces, and accommodations for you and your guests.
- The Atlantica Hotel Halifax – This modern hotel offers several event spaces, including a grand ballroom and a rooftop terrace with stunning views of the city. Their experienced wedding team will work with you to create a personalized package that suits your style and budget.
Peggys’ Cove and even more venues for live music
- Peggy’s Cove – If you’re looking for a truly unique and unforgettable wedding venue, consider getting married at Peggy’s Cove. This picturesque fishing village is located just outside of Halifax and offers stunning views of the ocean and rocky coastline.
- The Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel – This waterfront hotel offers several event spaces, including a grand ballroom with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the harbor. Their experienced wedding team will help you plan every detail of your special day, from the menu to the décor.
- The Old Orchard Inn & Spa – Located in the beautiful Annapolis Valley, just a short drive from Halifax, the Old Orchard Inn & Spa offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The property features several event spaces, including a grand ballroom and a cozy fireplace lounge.
- The Halifax Convention Centre – This state-of-the-art convention center offers several event spaces, including a grand ballroom and a rooftop terrace with panoramic views of the city. Their experienced event team will help you create a personalized wedding package that suits your style and budget.
- Oceanstone Seaside Resort is a beautiful wedding venue located in Indian Harbour, just a short drive from Halifax, Nova Scotia. This stunning venue offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and the rugged coastline of Peggy’s Cove. The resort features several event spaces, including a rustic barn, a charming cottage, and a picturesque outdoor ceremony site. The rustic barn is perfect for a cozy and intimate wedding reception, while the cottage can accommodate larger weddings of up to 150 guests.
Fantastic, professional musicians wedding string quartet Halifax NS
Catherine Little, cello a big part of our wedding ensembles
Nova Scotia cellist Catherine Little is currently studying cello with Johanne Perron in the Masters Performance program at the Université de Montréal. Catherine has an Honours Bachelor of Music from Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, where she studied cello with Paul Pulford and chamber music with the Penderecki String Quartet. She also took a year-long cultural exchange to France, studying with Jacques Froger at the Conservatoire Nationale de Musique et de Danse in La Rochelle.
Catherine has played in many orchestras and chamber music festivals, including the National Youth Orchestra of Canada, the Wilfrid Laurier and Université de Montreal Symphony Orchestras, the “Quartetfest” chamber music festival in Waterloo, Ontario, the Domaine Forget Summer Music Academy in Charlevoix, Quebec, the Tuckamore music festival in St. John’s Newfoundland and the Scotia Festival of Music in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Apart from her studies of classical repertoire, Catherine has most recently discovered an interest in improvising, new music and teaching, but she is most devoted to and enthusiastic about chamber music.
Lauren Klein, violin Halifax
Originally from Halifax, Lauren completed her Bachelor of Music in Waterloo, ON and her Master of Music Performance in Victoria, BC. Lauren has been a member of the National Academy Orchestra and various symphony and string orchestras, an East Coast fiddle group, and a Baroque and Early Music ensemble. She also completed a Diploma in Chamber Music while in Waterloo and loves to play in string quartets and trios whenever she can. She has attended Quartetfest 2006, the Scotia Festival of Music, and the Tafelmusik Summer Baroque Institute. Lauren teaches violin in Victoria, and plays with the Vancouver Island Symphony in Nanaimo as well as the Victoria Chamber Orchestra. Recently, she has performed as a soloist with the Raven Baroque Orchestra and for Ballet Victoria.
Award winning wedding string quartet Halifax NS
Duo d’Amore is extremly proud to have won the Weddingwire Brides choice award numerous times for best wedding ceremony music: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011. (After 2016 awards not presented is Canada) We have also been featured in WeddingBells, Wedluxe, Style Me Pretty, Junebug Weddings, The Knot and many other exceptional publications. Read reviews here